Friday, March 11, 2016

Thursday Night Dinner: 10/31 #solc16



I cook dinner almost every night. I enjoy it (most of the time) and I hope that the home-cooked meals that we share as a family will be something that Sophie and Margaret remember.

This year, though, Pete has been in charge of dinner on Thursday nights. The reason for this is that I have to take Sophie to dance after school and we don't get home until 5:30 p.m. or later, which is much too late for me to start dinner.

It started out that Pete would pick up a pizza or Chipotle, which was fine by us. Who doesn't like pizza and Chipotle? But then he got a little more adventurous. And he has been very successful. (Well, except for that ill-fated chicken day when I had to explain the basics of food safety to him.)

One of his first forays into cooking was to make what he called "Fish Balls," a breaded and fried sardine mixture that the girls (amazingly) loved and I tolerated.

Last week, he surprised us all with pan-seared steaks, with roasted broccoli and potatoes. I was so impressed!

But, this week he outdid himself by making homemade pasta, which he topped with a sauce that included some of his homemade sausage. I honestly didn't know he had it in him.

I think I might let this Thursday tradition continue even after dance class ends for the summer.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Pete is really stepping up to the plate! I'm with you, don't let him give up his Thursday nights. They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely nice to have someone else cook for you once in awhile!

      Delete