Monday, March 7, 2016

Pete's Meats: 7/31 #solc16



Yesterday I opened the fridge to get out the ingredients for dinner when I saw a strange-looking vacuum-sealed package. It contained something white and opaque. Curious, I pulled it out and, to my horror, saw the words "pork fat" written in Sharpie on the front. I let out a small shriek and tossed the package back onto the shelf.

To be honest, this should not have surprised me. Ever since my husband, Pete, started his meat-making hobby, things of this nature have regularly shown up in my fridge. This past weekend alone, the following were things were going on in there: a pork belly was curing for bacon, giant bowls of seasoned pork were waiting to be ground into sausage, and beef was marinating for jerky.

I have to admit, the finished products are great. I just don't like seeing all the "behind the scenes" parts. I mean, it's one thing to eat and enjoy a sausage patty, but it's quite another experience to imagine the thick, white, gelatinous pork fat that you now know went into it.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my! I would have done the same thing!!! You are exactly right; I much prefer to enjoy the final product ignorant of the process. :) What a unique, cool hobby, though. I bet you all save a ton of money and eat some great meat, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I would have done the same thing!!! You are exactly right; I much prefer to enjoy the final product ignorant of the process. :) What a unique, cool hobby, though. I bet you all save a ton of money and eat some great meat, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting to compare the most unusual things found in fridges/freezers. My youngest daughter's placenta was in our freezer for quite some time--my husband wanted to plant a tree with the placenta under it but took a while to get around to it. By the way, my answer to the behind-the-scenes issue was to become vegetarian ;) I laughed at your shriek and toss, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be interesting to compare the most unusual things found in fridges/freezers. My youngest daughter's placenta was in our freezer for quite some time--my husband wanted to plant a tree with the placenta under it but took a while to get around to it. By the way, my answer to the behind-the-scenes issue was to become vegetarian ;) I laughed at your shriek and toss, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It brings back memories of when my Grandfather was alive. He was a meat packer and we had to try everything under the sun. Sometimes pure torture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! It brings back memories of when my Grandfather was alive. He was a meat packer and we had to try everything under the sun. Sometimes pure torture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm more likely to find something green and fuzzy! I hate going into the depth of my refrigerator. There's NEVER anything good back there. "Shriek and toss!" a great reaction!

    ReplyDelete