Monday, March 21, 2016

New Car: 21/31 #solc16


So, I got a new car this weekend.

You may note the lack of exclamation point at the end of that statement. It's not that I don't like it--I do! My husband did a great job of researching and picking it out. It's just that I really don't like change. Even good changes give me pause at first.

I've had my old car for seven years. I got this car when Sophie was just a baby and I feel like it is part of my family. Or at least a part of my identity. I'm a station wagon driver. I'm a Saab owner.

Well, I was.

I admit, it was time to move on. The old car was getting up there in miles. I was starting to develop an over-developed sense of worry about it. Is something vibrating?! Do I detect a noise?

But, the biggest indicator was the morning I realized that my car almost caught my dress on fire. You see, I am always cold and use my seat heaters all the time. I mean, every month of the year with the exception of July (and sometimes then too, like if I've just had a really cold drink while I'm driving.) In recent months, my leather seats were starting to pull apart at the seams and one morning that I wasn't wearing tights, I could feel that the heating element in the seat was starting to get exposed. On another morning, my car was filled with the smell of something burning, which I quickly realized was the fabric of my dress. I was still cold, so I just turned it down to low to avoid any conflagrations.

Even at seven, Sophie was able to realize that a new car was imminent, if not necessary. After picking her up from school one afternoon, she asked, "Mom! Why does it smell like burnt toast in your car?"

"Oh, that's just the seat heater singing my clothes," I replied.

"You really need a new car," she sighed in reply.

Yes, it's probably for the best.

8 comments:

  1. I do think it was time for a new car! Especially when Sophie notices it too, but then kids can be very observant can't they be? Now what did you end up getting? Apparently not a SAAB?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new car is a big change! What kind did you get? I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a first! Your dress almost caught on fire from your seat heater. It's a good conversation piece. We hang on to our cars until they barely run anymore. I've had my van for over 13 years and it's time for something new. But I, too, am reluctant to change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my seat heaters but I'm going to be a bit more wary from now on. Someone else recently posted about their car and all the memories it carried--darned if I can remember who but I enjoyed reading about it. It's interesting to think of all the stories contained in a family vehicle. Enjoy your new car and making new memories with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my seat heaters but I'm going to be a bit more wary from now on. Someone else recently posted about their car and all the memories it carried--darned if I can remember who but I enjoyed reading about it. It's interesting to think of all the stories contained in a family vehicle. Enjoy your new car and making new memories with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I love my seat warmers but now I'll always have your singed dress in the back of my mind! It sounds like it was time for that new car. What did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new car. The strange thing for me whenever I get a new car is the memories of getting rid of the old one. My first car was a jeep and when I got my next car, I could not sell the jeep. I keep that car 25 years and then finally, I had to finally sell it.

    Douglass @ Viva Kia

    ReplyDelete
  8. The local car dealership is running a special this month when you bring in your tax refund. I decided to give it a try and I got a bigger car than I wanted for less money than I budgeted for. Be sure to check with your dealer for the specials they have this week, you never know when a killer deal is going o that could cut your monthly payments.

    ReplyDelete