Saturday, March 5, 2016

My Teen Years are Now Retro!:5/31 #solc16



This evening, while eating dinner out at Five Guy's, a 90's song came on that reminded me to tell my husband about a strange phenomenon I have been noticing this school year: things that were popular when we were in high school in the '90s are now popular again with the seniors I teach!

It's really weird.

It all started with Friends. Since fall, my students have been obsessed with watching the entire series, which was one of my favorites in high school. Not too long ago, a student asked me if I was a fan of One Tree Hill. My response? "What?! Now you're on to that show?!"

Recently I overheard some students in my study hall discussing music. I think my ears pricked up when I heard mention of Blink 182 (probably because I hadn't heard mention of that band for at least a decade). It was like they were trying to "one up" each other with a different '90s band that they were now listening to. The conversation went something like this:

"Do you listen to Blink 182?"

"Yeah, they're pretty good, but I prefer Sublime."

"I've actually been listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers. Like the old stuff, from the '90s."

Oh yeah, they're good, but so are the Smashing Pumpkins."

What was going on here?! How were all these bands that I listened to in junior high and high school now relevant again?

After relaying all this to my husband, he answered, "I guess it's retro now."

This immediately me feel old! My teen years (which weren't even that long ago, right?) were now coming back around as "retro"?!?

But, I got to thinking, this is the same phenomenon that made my friends and I indulge in '80s classics such as watching Sixteen Candles over and again and singing Pat Benatar's "We Belong" at the top of our lungs every time we were in a car together in 1996.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! I guess the 90s are long enough ago to feel exotic to teens in 2016. Hey, at least you'll know all their pop references!

    ReplyDelete