Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Bestiary or Bestiality?: 8/31 #solc16



Sometimes my students say and do things that are just too bizarre/funny/weird that I just have to share. Today was one of those days.

I have a student who frequently (read: every day) loses his handouts and assignments. He will randomly interrupt me during another class to ask for said work. This afternoon, while in the middle of conducting a meeting with my National Honor Society students, this student breezes into the room, shouting, "Hey! I need that bestiality chart!"

The room immediately went silent, as all the students' eyes enlarged to three times their original size.

"I think you're referring to the bestiary chart," I said.

"Oh, whatever. Bestiality, bestiary...same thing."

Um, actually, no.

To set the record straight, bestiary is a collection of descriptions or representations of animals. While reading Act I of Othello, we were recording all the times that Iago makes a reference to an animal. I mean, there's some racy content in Othello, but nothing quite as shocking as sexual intercourse between a human and an animal, as bestiality would imply.

The students witnessing this exchange found it to be hilarious, and, apparently someone shared the story with my principal because as I was leaving the building later on, he teasingly called out, "I heard you're teaching something new! Bestiality...that's Common Core approved, right?"

6 comments:

  1. I am sure that is in the common core somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that is in the common core somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is hilarious!!! He had no idea, that's the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that's hilarious! Thanks for sharing and making me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is hilarious!!! He had no idea, that's the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hysterical!! I burst out laughing at the new version of Common Core. Vocabulary is everything! ;)

    ReplyDelete