Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Whirlwind of Emotion:1/31 #solc16



As I got into my car after work this afternoon, I let out a big sigh. "Man," I thought, "I feel exhausted." But, I wasn't sure why. I'm a teacher after all, not a professional weightlifter or some other physically taxing job.

During the drive home, I started to think over what my students and I had accomplished today, and that's when I realized I wasn't physically tired--I was mentally drained. I teach three different English courses and it seems to work out that once a year, each of the three classes are reading a whole class novel at the same time.

It is that time of year. Reading, discussing, and, in some cases acting out, these stories makes me step inside the lives of the characters.  And, let me tell you, living simultaneously in three different worlds, complete with all the personalities, conflicts, and emotions, is tiring stuff!

For instance, I started out the morning as Brabantio, lamenting how my daughter could up and marry Othello in the middle of the night without my knowledge. How could she?! But, I was also Desdemona, feeling misunderstood by my father, yet deeply in love with a man that I ardently admire. And to warn Othello that I may someday deceive him as I have supposedly deceived my father! As if! After all, it was my father who was always inviting Othello over to our house, but he seems to have forgotten that.


I left that story only to move on to Hamlet where I contemplated whether or not I should take my own life! Ah, to just drift off to eternal sleep and never have to worry about my problems again...except, I'm not really sure where I'll be drifting off to...It's frightening enough to make me put my "bare bodkin" away for the time being. I guess I now understand why people live on to old age.


As if contemplating my own existence wasn't bad enough, in the afternoon I was Candy, the old swamper in Of Mice and Men. Carlson is forcing my hand on the subject of my old dog. He seems to think that I should put the old dog out of his misery. I get it, I really do...but I've had him since he was a pup and I'm used to him. Carlson decides to take matters into his own hands. That gunshot...it was like a punch in the stomach.


So, by three in the afternoon, I had had a terrible family argument, contemplated ending it all, and had my dog put down. As honored as I am to learn about life and human nature from these wonderful characters alongside my students, I was definitely happy to pick up my girls and inject a little happiness into my day!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to SOL and the March challenge! Congratulations on a great first post! It was fascinating to hear about your personality changes throughout the day. No wonder you were exhausted! Your classroom sounds like it has a vibrant, exciting atmosphere. I look forward to reading more of your posts this month! Happy slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to SOL and the March challenge! Congratulations on a great first post! It was fascinating to hear about your personality changes throughout the day. No wonder you were exhausted! Your classroom sounds like it has a vibrant, exciting atmosphere. I look forward to reading more of your posts this month! Happy slicing!

    ReplyDelete