Friday, January 9, 2015

Proper Winter Attire

For years, I never owned a proper pair of snow boots. My thinking usually went something like this:

The temperature's -25 degrees? I think these flats will do!

Forecast's calling for 8 to 10 inches of snow? This will be the perfect day to wear my new suede moccasins!

My mom was forever warning me that, if I wouldn't wear them, I should at least have them in my car in case of an emergency. (She also insisted that I have a coffee can with a candle in it, as this is also supposedly useful in an emergency.) But, I always eschewed her advice because I didn't want to spend money on ugly snow boots when there were so many other cute shoes to be bought.

Finally, at an end-of-the-season sale, I purchased a pair of boots that were fur-lined and actually waterproof. In another moment of clarity, I also bought a winter coat whose major feature was its length, rather than its style.

During this week's snow storm, I was leaving work wearing my snow boots and my long winter coat, and I was suddenly struck...by how warm I was, despite the weather! It was such a new concept to me! And, after years of tiptoeing to my car or finding other people's footprints or tire treads to walk in to avoid getting snow on my feet, I brazenly walked through a snow drift in my boots and my feet were still dry! Amazing!

I guess my mom was on to something after all.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Gretchen. I was excited to see you back on your blog. I have finally given in to zipping and buttoning my coats. Warmth is nice!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy! And, yes, why did it take us so long to realize these things?!

    ReplyDelete