Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hidden in Plain Sight

This is a picture of my parents' refrigerator. There appears to be nothing out of the ordinary on it. Lots of family pictures, some of Sophie's artwork...surely not a picture of a nude woman (whom we do not know) reading a book on a toilet!

Wait, let me look a little closer. Oh, there is!


I know what you're thinking: how and why? Remember when there were no digital cameras? And you had to actually develop film? And, you never really knew what pictures would be on the roll until you picked them up from the one hour photo place? Well, this sort of stems from that.

You see, one summer my friend Weeze and her family were vacationing at the beach. I think they forgot to bring their camera or maybe theirs broke, I'm not certain. What I do know for sure is that they went to a pawn shop to pick up another one so that they could document the rest of their trip. A camera that already had a half-used roll of film in it. And that is how this gem of a photo was discovered.

Someone thought it would be a funny joke to take a picture of this woman while she was on the toilet, getting ready to read her book in a nice bubble bath. Well, maybe "nice" isn't quite the correct term to use here. I wonder if she's heard of Bath Fitter?

Anyway, this picture happened to come into my possession when Weeze thought it would be a great addition to a photo collage that my Mom made for my surprise 16th birthday party. (If you have been reading Meat Toast for a while, you may remember that this was the party where I thought I was being murdered. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, perhaps you should click here to read about it.) After that, it somehow took up residence on my parents' refrigerator where it has remained for the last eighteen years, practically unnoticed.

No one ever mentions it. Whenever someone new comes over, they're never like, "Hey, who's this naked lady? A cousin or something?" Although, it could be that maybe they're just thinking that, but too polite (or scared) to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment