Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Zip Lining, What Not to Wear While...Final Encyclopedia Entry

I've finally made it to the letter Z in my own little version of Amy Krouse Rosenthal's Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. Since January, I've been considering my life through the letters of the alphabet, telling short, sometimes very random stories that correspond to each letter. It's been a fun, yet at times challenging, writing exercise.

ZIP LINING, WHAT NOT TO WEAR WHILE

A couple years back, my sister-in-law got my husband a gift certificate to go on a zip line tour. If you're not familiar, a zip line tour consists of donning a harness and gliding from tree to tree out in the woods with a group of people. It sounded like fun, so we made a reservation and headed for the hills--Hocking Hills, that is.

No where did I remember reading about what I should wear for this adventure. It was going to be warm, so I opted for a pair of jean shorts and a t-shirt.

This is where it all went wrong. What I failed to consider was the fact that I would have harness straps between my legs and that each time we zipped from tree to tree, these straps would cause the unforgiving denim fabric to dig further and further into this region.

At each stop, while the others in the group marveled at the scenery and the thrill of the zip line, I was desperately trying to think of a way to stick my hand down my shorts to readjust my underwear, which the jean shorts had helped to turn into the worst wedge I had experienced to date. But, even though these people were strangers to me, I couldn't chance becoming known to them as the weird underwear adjuster on their zip line tour.

I decided to suffer through, even though my problem was only getting worse with each zip.

To the casual observer, I appeared to be having the most fun of anyone on the tour because at each zip no one in the group screamed louder or longer than I did. It was just that no one knew the screams originated from my jean shorts and a pair of underwear that I feared would have to be surgically removed.

Shot taken prior to the start of the zip line tour. Note the placement of the harness straps :(


 

1 comment:

  1. BlueHost is definitely the best hosting company with plans for all of your hosting requirements.

    ReplyDelete