Monday, June 24, 2013

Teachers Write Camp!

This summer I decided to sign up for the online writing camp, Teachers Write, to jump start my writing over break and renew my commitment to my stories (I only posted once last once month and not at all the month before that!).

This morning's warm-up, presented here by Jo Knowles, made me take a step back and consider my purpose. Well, it was a good question. I started this blog just shy of three years ago, but why? Here's my reflection on that.

Stories have always been a huge part of both my immediate and extended family. Whenever we get together, that's what we do--we tell and retell our stories. Whether it be stories from my parents' childhoods, like my Dad and his siblings throwing a homemade dummy from a tree onto Aunt Cass's car as she drove down the street or the story of Mom smacking her neighbor with a flip-flop, or stories from our own, these tales cement our bond to each other. They're the memories that we don't want to forget. They make us smile, sometimes bring a tear to our eye, but they almost always make us laugh. And if, in sharing some of these stories, I can do the same, then I have fulfilled the purpose of Meat Toast. These stories--both the living and the retelling of them--have brought so much fun and laughter to my family that I just can't help but want to share them with others.

So, whether you've read one or all of these stories, I hope I have been able to make you smile, chuckle, or maybe even laugh.

1 comment:

  1. I love your stories! I'm a weird Meat Toast groupie. I literally crack up at every one. I'm catching up at a coffee shop now, people are laughing at me while I read your blog. Meat Toast SUCCESS!

    You need stickers and tshirts for Meat Toast!

    ReplyDelete