Saturday, January 5, 2013

Designing Women -- Dude, Hey

DESIGNING WOMEN

Many people have cravings for strange foods during their pregnancies. This was not the case with me. In fact, food made me want to puke (which I did, frequently). What I craved was the witty Southern banter of the Sugarbaker sisters, Julia and Suzanne, and their associates Mary Jo, Charlene, and Anthony.  Of course, I am talking about the one and only sitcom masterpiece Designing Women! I remembered watching the show as a kid when it would happen to be on the tv at our house. But, suddenly, I had a great urge to watch that entire series from beginning to end. Pickles? No thank you. The sitcom writing skills of Linda Bloodworth-Thomas? Yes, please!

I lived in anticipation of who Julia would tell off next, what new ditzy comment Charlene would make, or what Mary Jo's kids or ex-husband were doing to cause her stress. I was fascinated by Suzanne's complete narcissism and just how many times Anthony mentioned his former cell mate, T. Tommy Reid. And, Bernice, who doesn't love crazy Bernice?

Each evening I would settle in for another episode, but I would be so tired that I could only make it through fifteen minutes before I would fall fast asleep. The next night, I would try again, making it through maybe 20 minutes, and so on and so forth. It would sometimes take several days for me to complete a whole episode. Throughout all this, my husband was very considerate and patient with my new obsession and sleeping patterns. The only time he raised a protest was the night I tried, for the fifth night in a row, to make him suffer through the episode where the ladies and Anthony go on a canoe trip in the backwoods of Georgia and are forced to dance with some Deliverance-style hillbillies.

Every man has his limits.



DOING CHORES




Simple tasks my mom asked me to do

Results

Age
Heat up a pot of Broccoli Cheese Soup she made for dinner
Didn’t realize you could put the stove’s knobs on positions other than all the way on or all the way off; soup forms a ½ inch burnt crust on the bottom of the pot, remaining soup curdles, no dinner for the Doughertys



14
Start the washing machine (clothes, detergent, and washing setting already set—I only had to pull out the knob to start it)
Pull knob; comes off; panic and call mom at work; realize I pulled the knob off the dryer; didn’t know the difference

17



DUDE, HEY

You remember watching the Nickelodeon show Hey Dude from the early 90s, right? The one about the kids who spent the summer working on The Bar None dude ranch in Arizona? You know, with Brad (who was a girl), Ted (the heartthrob), Melody (Ben Stiller's wife!), and Danny (the Native American guy)? This song rings a bell, doesn't it?

No, never heard of it? Are you like my husband and grew up without cable? You are? I'm sorry.

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy your posts. And I remember when you pulled the knob off the dryer!! :)

    ReplyDelete