Monday, August 1, 2011

Moustache or No?

Think of an uncle or a friend's dad, and answer this question: Does he have a moustache? 



Are you sure?

If you are like me, probably not. 

The moustaches that were so ubiquitous among your male relatives in the 70s and 80s have slowly been disappearing over the past decade and reappearing on the faces on young hipsters, making it hard to recall with any degree of accuracy who has one and who doesn't.  Even Conan and Andy couldn't agree on whether or not Alex Trebec has one when they were discussing him on their show the other night.  (He doesn't anymore, by the way.)

When I was growing up pretty much every adult male that I knew had a moustache, including my Dad and all my uncles.  And, of course, my two TV crushes had them too.

Magnum PI

Schneider from One Day at a Time
I know, you don't have to tell me I had great taste in TV character crushes.

But, as I said before, they all started shaving them off.  (Except Tom Selleck--he's still holding on to his). 

When I mentioned the demise of my Dad's moustache to my friend, Jessie, she replied, "What!?! Your Dad doesn't have a moustache!"

This is the same girl who has been my best friend since Kindergarten and has seen my Dad thousands of times, many of which she spoke with him while looking him directly in the face.

"Umm, yeah he does."

"No way! I don't believe you! I swear he doesn't have one!"

"He's had one pretty much my whole life.  If you didn't think he had a moustache, what did you think that brown thing on top of his lip was?"

"I don't know.....dirt?"

I guess it was best that he got rid of it if it was that unmemorable.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha! Tom Bernhardt is still holding STRONG to sportin' his 'stache!!

    ReplyDelete