Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Another Child That's Grown Old


Can your dad do this?


No?  Well, mine can.  (That's him, actually.)

When you're a little kid it's easy to think that your parents are omnipotent beings who can do anything.  As you grow up, you tend to discover that your mom and dad can't, in fact, do it all.  But, this is not the case with my Dad.  I still believe that he can do anything, mainly because he has never given me reason to doubt this theory.

Building or fixing things?  Let's just say that my Dad has single-handedly remodeled most of our house and, if my car broke down, I would probably call him first.

Making things?  See this:
Just something he might whip up in his spare time.

Culinary skills?  He can cook a breakfast on a campfire that would make you drool. 


As I said, there's nothing he can't do.  He even dabbles in the arts (as evidenced by a lovely braided coat hanger project that can probably still be found in our basement.) 

He knows a lot of things, too.  He isn't one to flaunt his knowledge because he reads and learns to suit his own purposes, but if you want to know abything about plants, birds, the river, kayaking, or a host of other things, he's your man.   

And, this list does not even scratch the surface of my Dad's talents, but for the sake of brevity, I will stop there. 

But, the thing that is most appealing about my Dad is his child-like spirit.  Kids always love him, I think, because they recognize him as one of their own.  This made him a great Dad to grow up with.  I don't know any other dad who would dress up in a peach bridesmaid dress and sing "I'm in the Mood for Love" on our front porch, simply because my friend Weeze and I dared him to. 

At other times this could be slightly embarrassing.  For instance, I'm sure that my Dad is the only grown man (other than a Shriner) who enjoys riding around the neighborhood on a 34" children's bike.  But this is precisely what I, as an adult, admire the most about my Dad.  He does what makes him happy, even if it's not the "conventional" thing to do.  And, I am comforted to know that no matter how old my Dad gets, he will never be "old."

No comments:

Post a Comment