Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Amateur Photographer

I can still remember my first camera.  I got it for Christmas when I was a kid, and it was long, rectangular and mint green.  With this camera I was known to take some of the world's worst photographs.  Blurry, shadowy, off-center--those about sum up the results.  The results which I waited patiently for because I had to wait for the film to get developed.

I also chose really ridiculous subject matter for my photos, such as my dolls.  I even went as far as to walk around town posing them in people's flower beds and shrubbery, even the town gazebo, in order to get some lovely (and I use that term loosely) shots.  I can't even imagine what it must have looked like to passing onlookers as I painstakingly positioned my dolls and spoke to them as if they were live models.

When I did photograph real people, the results were equally less than stellar.  One of my favorite things to do was to take pictures of people when they were least expecting it.  I gave new meaning to the phrase "candid camera," and I thought it was so hilarious and entertaining.

Here are a few examples that still remain for the sake of posterity.  They were all taken on Christmas morning at my Grandma Theresa's house.

This one is of my Dad.  And, if there is anyone that would smile indulgently at me while I ambushed him with my camera, it would be him.  It's just his nature.  But I am so glad that he cocked his head to the side so that my Grandma's lovely hanging plant did not have to be obscured in any way.

This one is of my Aunt Bridget, and you can tell by the look on her face and the placement of her hand that she is smiling to be nice, but that she really has no idea why I am behaving like a paparazzo in my Grandma's kitchen.

This one is of my Uncle Mike, and it appears that I caught him in the act of eating something.  This is not really surprising because my Uncle Mike loves to eat.....anything.  I could regale you with tales of how he once ate a braces rubber band from the floor of his car because he thought it was an Oodles of Noodles ring, or how he almost choked from ingesting a pizza box rubber band hidden within a pile of sauce someone had scraped from some pizza, but, alas, those tales are for another time.  

And, I won't even get into the "artistic" photos I took of my sister and my friend Jessie.  All I'll say is that they were tasteful.

And then there was the Olympic Camera. 


Yes, those are "Mom Jeans" I'm wearing :(

I really, really love the Olympics.  Whenever they are on, I watch them with rapt attention and begin to dream of ways in which I can perform in them myself.  (Although, based on my sports experiences, I have yet to find the perfect event.)  So, when my Grandma got me a Kodak camera one Christmas that just happened to have the Olympic sponsor logo on it, I was thrilled!  If I couldn't get to the Olympics, the next best thing would be to take pictures with an Olympic sponsor camera. 

This camera lasted me many years, mainly because I just couldn't dream of parting with it.  I even dropped it and had to wrap part of it in masking tape (which, thankfully, didn't cover up the Olympic logo).      

Sadly, it eventually died and I had to throw it away.  But, my photography skills have increased over the years.  Oh, and I no longer own mom jeans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment