Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pizza

If you've never been to the Ohio Valley, you might not know that we have the best pizza.  

Dana and I enjoying some Iggy's Pizza
You order it by the piece, rather than in a pie, and each square can have its own toppings.  The toppings are put on after the pizza is cooked, so if you order extra cheese, you get a pile of unmelted mozzarella on top--delicious.  And, the crust is so crispy, so the corner pieces are always a bonus.  

There were many pizza shops in my town, but there is one in particular that would become the bane of my existence .  DeCesare's Pizza was located in an in old, somewhat dilapidated building downtown and it employed some workers with dubious hygiene.  Once, while waiting on our order, my Mom and I sat and watched in horror as one of the workers used the edge of the spatula (that would later be pulling our pizza out)  to scrape crud  out of a crack in the oven.  But, I guess you are willing to overlook these kinds of things for great pizza.

As a kid, I would have listed DeCesare's as my favorite pizza. That is, until I once thew it up.  I remember the day quite clearly.  It was summer.  I was ten.  My cousins Amie and Jay were visiting from Florida.  I ordered two pieces with extra cheese, onions, and black olives.  And, later that night it all came back up.  

From then on out, I hated DeCesare's pizza and refused to eat it.  I don't think it was the pizza that caused my stomach problems because everyone else who had eaten the pizza that night was fine.  But, I refused to listen to reason.  I would never eat this pizza again.  Ever.

This strike against DeCesare's pizza became a problem.  My family still liked it, so when they ordered it I would have to eat something else, like a bowl of cereal.  And, it was common at sleepovers of the day to order a tray of pizza--and if it happened to be DeCesare's, I was very put out. 

It wasn't until ten years later, when I was home from college, that I decided to end the strike and try a piece (this time with no onions and black olives).  And, I couldn't believe my taste buds!  The crust had just the right balance of crispiness, the sauce was just about perfect, and the cheese, well you can hardly mess that part up.  I immediately wanted to smack myself for losing TEN YEARS of eating this awesome pizza.

And, it gets worse.  DeCesare's Pizza closed down within a year of my comeback.  I had rediscovered the greatest pizza ever, only to learn that I could never eat it again.  Ever.

I've still not recovered from this news.

...especially its pizza.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they closed as soon as you started enjoying it again!

    Great story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could you not mention slathering on their "secret" hoagie sauce? Bo's tried to recreate it, but not the same. I think it's missing a sweat factor.

    ReplyDelete