Sunday, August 1, 2010

Meat Toast

     "You used to feed us what?"
     "I would cut up toast into little triangles then spread it with baby food meat.  You all loved it!"
     "So you mean we ate meat toast?"
     "I guess so."
     "That is disgusting."

And so "Meat Toast" was born.  After continually making fun of my mom for feeding us this stuff, my sister decided that this would be the perfect title for the memoir I wanted to write about our childhood.  I had to agree that it was just a weird enough title to interest someone.

As a New Years resolution I decided that I was finally going to challenge myself to start writing this thing, but I must admit, it has been slow going, and I am just not disciplined when I only have myself to be accountable to.

This past weekend, while visiting my cousin and his fiance, I had the fortunate experience of meeting Peter Pattakos who writes the blog Cleveland Frowns.  I don't even know how it got brought up, but he was so passionate about blogging and ready to give inspirational advice (e.g., "No blogger is an island!"  "You're a person first, a writer second!") that I was caught up in his blogging fervor and decided that I should just jump in and do it!  And, of course, it would make me accountable to other people (that is if anyone would actually read it) which might actually help me to do more writing.

9 comments:

  1. Thrilled that you are doing this and look forward to reading more from you! Love your stories, Gretchen....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beyond thrilled to see "Meat Toast" is being worked on and now I can keep updated with your blog. Can't wait for the next entry. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is an indication of your writing, I'm confidant I'll be seeing you book in Borders someday!!! Love You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging world. You will be hooked. I love your stories and what a great way to start writing your memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a very creative way to get you kids to eat meat and you all loved it. All in the name of good nutrition.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for Meat Toast! I'm so glad to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am so delighted to have stumbled upon your blog on facebook. I am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen just started eating jarred baby meat last week. I would think that anyone who has ever had to serve that stuff to their kids would agree, IT IS AWFUL! I absolutely CANNOT BELIEVE that anyone would ever want to eat that stuff on purpose...much less serve it to their kids as a treat. Then again, maybe the smell and the texture of the toast helped hide the smell and the texture of the meat. Come to think of it, your mom is a genius. Now if only Colleen had enough teeth to eat some meat toast!!!

    ReplyDelete